Skip to main content

Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre

 "Being is. Being is in-itself. Being is what it is."

 Jean-Paul Charles Aymard Sartre is one of the most important philosophers of all time. Despite his work garnering considerable flak over the years, his theories on existentialism and freedom cement his place among the most influential Western philosophers of the 20th-century and beyond.




Nausea is Sartre's first novel. I am not big with philosophy, but man do I love words and books! I picked up Nausea because first, it has a very curious title and second, I was looking for something short and interesting. Nausea is 100-something pages long. It is the diary of Antoine Roquentin. 

Roquentin is a French writer and the narrator. He lives in solitude writing History related texts. In the book he interacts with two other characters regularly. One is the self-taught man and the other is a woman with whom the narrator sleeps with often. The self-taught man is an important character. He spends his time reading books, he reads them in patterns, he knows a lot and keeps looking for more. He represents modern hypocrisy, the need of people to exist through things, knowledge, intellect and especially labels. Mostly he represents the world, the hypocrisy that makes Roquentin nauseous.

Roquentin is writing about Rollebon , a person in history. While writing about Rollebon, he is encompassed by the existence of this character, the existence of which is in the past. Once he finishes writing his book he is plunged into a crisis where he comes face to face with his own existence. He fails to find any purpose or meaning, he is horrified to acknowledge his being. 

In the second half of the novel, we come across another character called Anny. He is in love with her and they have remained separated for years. They meet again and share a dialogue which I found to be very interesting. Anny says she has outlived herself; she compares him to a milestone in her life, she uses his existence to measure the changes that come in her and her life. Roquentin wants to live like her, to give into his existence.

Again and again, throughout the book, Roquentin is surrounded by an unknown feeling which he calls the 'nausea'. He thinks and he thinks about things and their existence and then he thinks about his own existence, and he thinks about his thinking. The more he becomes aware of the objects around him the more he thinks about them and the more aware he becomes of his own existence; the deeper is he pushed into his dread. 

This novel is about a man questioning and then coming to terms with his existence. Sartre is famous for his works on Existentialism. I felt like a child reading this book. I do not claim that I have understood everything; but what's fun about reading a book you already understand? The writing is engaging given my explicit bias towards stories written in the first person, and the novel has quite a few funny moments that made me chuckle. I loved reading this book and I hope to reread it someday. 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ORIENTALISM: WESTERN CONCEPTIONS OF THE ORIENT

Recently I found myself getting interested in philosophy, specifically political philosophy. My sources of information are scattered, consisting largely of books and articles written by Western experts. I am often impressed by the confident authority exercised by the European and American academics while discussing the cultural and political scenario of the previously colonized nations. Sir Edward Said's Orientalism served as my introduction into the literature of postcolonial thought.  Edward Said, who died aged 67, was one of the leading literary critics of the last quarter of the 20th century. As professor of English and comparative literature at Columbia University, New York, he was widely regarded as the outstanding representative of the post-structuralist left in America. Above all, he was the most articulate and visible advocate of the Palestinian cause in the United States, where it earned him many enemies. This book is an analysis into the concretely established system of

Reading The Politics by Aristotle

   Once I had finished reading The Republic by Plato, I developed an interest in the entire building a city thing. I picked up The Politics by Aristotle as my next read. It took me months to finish reading the Politics, reading and rereading the chapters and googling words throughout the book. The Republic was a dialogue which was fun to get through, The Politics however, is a treatise, it is a really long essay (almost 300 pages) , and after reading it I sit face to face with my laptop to write this review while I am completely overwhelmed because, let’s face it , how am i supposed to review something like this? It's a classic and I doubt that I even understood it enough to review it in its entirety. The Politics is divided into 8 books, which consist of multiple chapters each. Collectively they answer different questions such as: what is the best form of governance? Why have a government at all? Aristotle proposes that all societies are established for a purpose, that is to le

The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir

As my first read of 2024, I picked up Simone de Beauvoir's The Second Sex, I had been wanting to read this after reading The Vindication of the Rights of Woman by Mary Wollstonecraft, which was a bit too old and I needed to read something contemporary on the topic. Once, I had come across a question," Is the representation of women in politics less than men, because women generally lack an interest in politics?". Do men have an inherent interest in the "real world"?  How different are women from men actually? What is it like being a woman? What is a woman?   Being a woman is much more than being a female. One should not separate the female from the female situation when forming any thoughts upon the woman.  The Second Sex talks about this in expansive description and analysis. The book is divided into two volumes:  1. Volume I: Facts and Myths  2. Volume II: Lived Experience    FACTS AND MYTHS  The text begins with an examination of the biological explanations a