Skip to main content

JANE EYRE

 


“Women are supposed to be very calm generally: but women feel just as men feel; they need exercise for their faculties, and a field for their efforts, as much as their brothers do; they suffer from too rigid a restraint, to absolute a stagnation, precisely as men would suffer; and it is narrow-minded in their more privileged fellow-creatures to say that they ought to confine themselves to making puddings and knitting stockings, to playing on the piano and embroidering bags. It is thoughtless to condemn them, or laugh at them, if they seek to do more or learn more than custom has pronounced necessary for their sex.”

It took me a week to finish reading this beautiful novel after it had been laying on my shelf for more than year. Truly a classic. Broke my heart and mended it again. Passionate , raw and unpredictable.

The book starts with Jane Eyre giving an account of her childhood and her experience growing up into a woman of education . Her account of childhood circumstances although being difficult , does not invoke pity but only appreciation for little Jane .

Jane Eyre is an intelligent and strong woman. She does not just seek love but demands respect. She is fearless and proud. She values her self respect. I could relate to her a lot. She took the right decisions and bore the consequences. Also she's lovely , beautiful and confident.

Mr. Rochester is an imperfect character. He is not the usual romance hero . But he is a beautiful character in his own manner. He acknowledges his mistakes and accepts his punishment. He repents and reforms.

The relationship between Mr. Rochester and Jane is so real and intimate. They do not put each other on pedestals , there is no flattery but only simple understanding.

The scenes of the story switch between grim and sad and bright and optimistic. The story remains unpredictable and grabs the readers curiosity throughout .

Coming to the romance in the book , I hardly consider this a romance novel and do not think of Rochester as a perfect prince charming. Rochester's character is imperfect. Not only that, but if I look at the events through glasses of the 21st century , his character seems manipulative and the way he kept his ex-wife in the attic is ethically ambiguous . Also , I am not a very big fan of the age gap between the couple. I like to think of the book as a story of Jane only , her dilemmas , her decisions and her sacrifice for love .

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/b745f8_0ab3cca31ba144d0a02729bce098a101~mv2.jpg/v1/fit/w_750,h_308,al_c,q_20,enc_auto/file.jpg

The book kept me very engaged and I was able to read it faster than I usually read. The writing style is beautiful and not very difficult for a classic. However there are lots of French sentences that I did not understand at all. Maybe I'll reread it someday after I learn French ! I am sure I'll enjoy it again in the same manner or better , differently.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ORIENTALISM: WESTERN CONCEPTIONS OF THE ORIENT

Recently I found myself getting interested in philosophy, specifically political philosophy. My sources of information are scattered, consisting largely of books and articles written by Western experts. I am often impressed by the confident authority exercised by the European and American academics while discussing the cultural and political scenario of the previously colonized nations. Sir Edward Said's Orientalism served as my introduction into the literature of postcolonial thought.  Edward Said, who died aged 67, was one of the leading literary critics of the last quarter of the 20th century. As professor of English and comparative literature at Columbia University, New York, he was widely regarded as the outstanding representative of the post-structuralist left in America. Above all, he was the most articulate and visible advocate of the Palestinian cause in the United States, where it earned him many enemies. This book is an analysis into the concretely established system of

Reading The Politics by Aristotle

   Once I had finished reading The Republic by Plato, I developed an interest in the entire building a city thing. I picked up The Politics by Aristotle as my next read. It took me months to finish reading the Politics, reading and rereading the chapters and googling words throughout the book. The Republic was a dialogue which was fun to get through, The Politics however, is a treatise, it is a really long essay (almost 300 pages) , and after reading it I sit face to face with my laptop to write this review while I am completely overwhelmed because, let’s face it , how am i supposed to review something like this? It's a classic and I doubt that I even understood it enough to review it in its entirety. The Politics is divided into 8 books, which consist of multiple chapters each. Collectively they answer different questions such as: what is the best form of governance? Why have a government at all? Aristotle proposes that all societies are established for a purpose, that is to le

The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir

As my first read of 2024, I picked up Simone de Beauvoir's The Second Sex, I had been wanting to read this after reading The Vindication of the Rights of Woman by Mary Wollstonecraft, which was a bit too old and I needed to read something contemporary on the topic. Once, I had come across a question," Is the representation of women in politics less than men, because women generally lack an interest in politics?". Do men have an inherent interest in the "real world"?  How different are women from men actually? What is it like being a woman? What is a woman?   Being a woman is much more than being a female. One should not separate the female from the female situation when forming any thoughts upon the woman.  The Second Sex talks about this in expansive description and analysis. The book is divided into two volumes:  1. Volume I: Facts and Myths  2. Volume II: Lived Experience    FACTS AND MYTHS  The text begins with an examination of the biological explanations a